Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Frustration on the 80
I witnessed something today that really frustrated me, and thought that it was worth mentioning. I was sitting on the 80 earlier today, completly packed in. But in the front, there was a lot of room in the aisle. An elderly man got on, he was walking with a cane, and carrying what looked like some sort of medical device that he was obviously hooked up to (maybe an oxygen tank or something along those lines) but looked like he was having a difficult time none the less. Yet, not one single person in the front of the bus got up to offer him a seat, mind you every single person was younger, probably late teens to no more than mid 20s, and would have a lot less difficulty standing than he would. I started to get up, trying to push my way into the aisle, but the man next to me, who was also older (about 50s) saw he was having difficulties, and offered his seat. All I have to say is, its such a shame the way elderly people get treated these days. If you look at other cultures, their elders are feared, and respected to the highest degree. I'd hate for them to ever have to see this representation of young America almost as much as I hate the fact that I am clumped into this group of people. If the rest of the world could see how poorly respected the elders are, it would only fuel the hatred many other countries already have towards America. The more of this I see, the more I understand why my elders have always told me that respect is going out the window.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment